Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Tuesday

Having not posted in a few days since creating the blog, I feel somewhat out of touch with myself if not also with the world. At least the air is a bit cooler here in Oregon today, so that I feel perkier - though not like Katie Couric, I suspect. It's nearly time to go home, and I wish I had some clever ideas to post. Here's a thought -- why do people so often misquote George Santayana who said "those who cannot remember history are condemned to repeat it" (at least according to Wikipedia) whereas people say "history repeats itself" which does not mean the same thing, quite.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Faris said...

I don't think people are misquoting Santayana when they say that history repeats itself.

I think it's tied to some form of belief that there must be order to this chaos, that things happen in cycles (and indeed, they do, if we follow that mother has daughter who becomes mother who has daughter, until someone breaks that cycle and says, "I don't have to be a mother!").

1:05 PM  
Blogger Sara Jameson said...

Interesting insight - the self-perpetuation, perpetual motion machine

I certainly said "I don't have to be a mother" or more accurately, "I don't want to be a mother."

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home