Friday, September 29, 2006

Titles: First or Last


My friend Michael Faris wrote about titles in his Collage of Citations, saying that he usually created titles for his blog post before writing but for his essays after he wrote them. I commented about students' titles. So now, here I am, writing about titles.

But as you see, the title of this blog post is not entirely helful because really what I am going to talk about is the beginning and the end -- of the first week of classes here at OSU. It's been pretty busy getting the graduate student teaching assistants settled into their own WR 121 classes and me settled into my own WR 222 classes and subbing for the business writing class of one TA who is at a conference in Georgia. Busy, busy.

But finally, it's Friday and I realized that I want to post something before I go home. It's also the end of September and the beginning of October. September is my favorite month - it's like the beginning of everything. Also, today is St. Michael's and All Angels day (see the picture above) in which the legions of light conquer the dragon / darkness -- but if you read Ursula Le Guin's Wizard of Earthsea novels and read her comments on the recent television versions
you will see that the dragons are actually good. especially in the book The Other Wind, so that offers insights into Western / Christian views. My friend Deacon Chris (who teaches "The Bible as Literature" here at OSU) suggested that St. Michael might have overcome the dragon with counseling or freewriting. The students might agree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home