Wednesday, December 13, 2006

New Books - it's like Christmas already

The OSU bookstore had a sale today and with 20% off on even the remainder books, I got some I am really looking forward to reading:

Face op Face: Women Writers on Faith, Mysticism, and Awakening edited bh Linda Hogan and Brenda Peterson (I have several of her excellent essay collections on nature). I'll probably start with the interview with Ursula Le Guin.

The Rural Life by Verlyn Klinkenborg, who writes for Harper's and New Yorker so that sounds good. Nature essays, one chapter per month of the year. I'll probably start with December. He lives in upstate New York, but apparently the essays are from all over.

The Island of Lost Maps: A True Story of Cartographic Crime by Miles Harvey. I love maps, so this should be fun.

Leaving Mother Lake: A Girlhood at the Edge of the World by Yang Erce Namu & Christine Mathieu, the story of a girl who left her native Moso region of the Himalayas where the culture is entirely matriarchal. This area - Tibet, Mustang, Nepal etc has always fascinated me.

Poet of the Appetites: The Lives and Loves of M.F.K. Fisher by Joan Reardon. I have been an avid reader of Fisher since a teen because my dad loved her articles in the New Yorker and gave me several of her books. Remarkable person. Wonderful stories about her life in France in the 1950's with two young daughters supporting herself as a free lance food and wine writer.

So, my bedside table is full, full. But right now I am re-reading The Irrational Season by Madeleing L'Engle. I would rather re-read something I have loved than risk spending time on something that does not comfort me.

I am so thankful for books!

When I worked at a bookstore and got 35% discount routinely, I bought quite a few. For one thing, they make excellent insulation in a house - keep in warm in winter, cool in summer. Today a book buyer came through the English department - slim pickings as most offices were closed and empty. I told him that I regard the books in my office as belonging to the department for the use of the graduate students and instructors, so I could not sell them. And the ones on my own shelf are mine, and of course I don't sell those. Oh no.

But right now, instead of starting any of these, I am going to read some student responses to They Say, I Say by the Graffs. Meant to do this weeks ago.

Wishing you many happy readings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home