Friday, April 04, 2008

True Believer

After having enjoyed Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff, I took up the recommendation by my friend and colleague Paula (with whom I totally agree that anyone can enjoy "children's books" - after all, consider the success of Harry Potter or Ursula Le Guin's Earth Sea books -- and now I am now reading the sequel True Believer, which is a sequel in the life of LaVaughn, a teen living with a single working mom, struggling to believe that she could even consider going to college. One thing I love about this book is the voice of LaVaughn and how it makes the story sing.

In reading a review online (WARNING - spoiler alert!), I now wonder if I have read this book already, but that doesn't matter. In fact, one measure of a book's success is whether you would happily read it twice. This is supposedly part of a trilogy, but so far, I have not been able to tell what the third book is. Maybe it hasn't been written yet. This weekend, I hope to spend some time with LaVaughn in the pages of this book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home