Friday, March 27, 2009

Learning How to Think

Having a few spare minutes over break - but only a few - I was reading some New York Times opinion pieces, and found Kristof's essay on "Learning How to Think" about the ways people make decisions. And this reminded me of a recent book review of Jonah Lehrer's book How We Decide (chapter courtesy of New York Times) reviewed by Steven Johnson. All of this musing on cognition relates to trying to help students think more clearly about their research and writing processes. And this brought me back to a book still on my nightstand, Geography of Thought by Richard Nisbett. Here. As our population of international students rises at Oregon State, it's helpful for me to understand how students think and why.

I need more time to think about this. For now it's a stub, as Wikipedia would call it.

Here's a recent puzzle:
If the plural of DOG is DOGS, how can the plural of AMERICAN be AMERICAN'S as we so often get in student papers. Any ideas?

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda Barnes said...

LOL. If Monday is capitalized, and American is capitalized, your should have capitalized Dogs, as my student's do!!! Your BFF (you know who).

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home