Saturday, December 02, 2006

Grammar handouts? Templates?

I was just happily noticing that the TYCA blog is more active lately after the recent conference at Chemeketa Community College in Salem, OR, and I found this entry on the effectiveness (or perceived effectiveness) of grammar handouts. Because I didn't see any of the actual handouts the blogger refers to, I cannot speak directly to this issue - and she did point out that they were mimeographed - hence much older - but I will say that in my writing classes I do use occasional grammar activities, such as a recent one that worked with transitions between paragraphs and between sentences. Several students said that this was the first time they really saw how necessary/useful it was to use transitition phrases such as "however, therefore, on the other hand," etc between ideas. If anyone wants a copy, just email me at sara.jameson@oregonstate.edu.

As for Gary's post about guided navigation, this is interesting, but without the link to the original post by Alexis and therefor without the pdf file he mentions, I'm a bit lost. -- NOTE -- if you are logged in to the TYCA blog with user name and password, then you can find the link to the 19-page PDF. I just printed it and will read it and add comments. It appears to be about locating logical or argumentative fallacies. But I still don't know who Alexis is.

I'm wondering if the templates he mentions resemble the Graff-Birkenstein They Say, I Say templates which we are using at Oregon State.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home