Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Rocky Mountain High - thinking and talking writing programs in Denver

It's been a great time so far at the workshop for Writing Program Administrators here in Denver, with 3 more days of conference, where I will also have the great fun of presenting on the "Tech Savvy" WPA - which I am, sometimes, with a lot of help from friends. I have yet to stress over my paper (too long of course as any of my friends or colleagues would expect) and my powerpoint which I had such fun making - really, a slide show of 35 (if I remember right) screen shots of the Information Literacy work we are doing at OSU. Meanwhile, Michael is subbing my WR 323 class, teaching them Baudrillard and visual rhetoric this week while they revise and expand their essays on contact zone issues for audiences such as Harper's, Atlantic, New Yorker, or New Republic. First we had to spend some time getting familiar with these magazines in class and even had fun looking at the concept of American anti-intellectualism - which probably connects to Baudrillard as well. The class is great fun even if the 6 students have summer fever and attend sporadically. Meanwhile, Claire and Isabelle are subbing for WR 121, where the many international students along with some NES - Native English Speakers (my newest acronym) - are doing some very nice work with Amy Tan, Bharati Mukherjee, Judith Cofer, Mike Rose and Stephen Jay Gould. I'm so lucky to have such great colleagues who make it possible for me to spend this week here with other great colleagues.

2 Comments:

Blogger beth said...

We think you're a great colleague too, Sara!
beth

10:28 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

NESs... That's a new acronym for me, too. Definitely one we could use, though.

Glad you're having fun in Denver. And, heheh, yes, I'm sure your PowerPoint was fun to create and your paper long. We wouldn't expect any less from you. :-)

See you in Corvallis in a couple weeks.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home