Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A "Murder of Crows" in Oregon


Just now a large flock of crows cawed its way across the cold blue sky outside the south window of my office - which I like to call The Sun Room, because of how warm (really warm in summer) and bright it is.

I love the venereal terms. A large flock of crows is called "a murder of crows." A quick search of the web does not turn up an image or information about this wonderful book that I own and love. I shall have to get out my copy at home and post more details. I tried to add it to my brand new barely started catalog on LibraryThing, but wasn't sure that the single title that Amazon found was the right one.

UPDATE: Here's the book I was looking for: An Exaltation of Larks by James Lipton.
and some of the terms:
a kindle of kittens
an exaltation of larks
a murder of crows

3 Comments:

Blogger Rootietoot said...

I think "and exultation of larks" is inspired. So what's a herd of hippopotomi?

10:06 AM  
Blogger Sara Jameson said...

According to this book, it's "a bloat of hippotami"

3:21 PM  
Blogger River Wiedle said...

Here are some I find amusing:

A sting of acupuncturists
A babble of barbers
An inefficiency of bureaucrats
A fibrillation of cardiologists
A screaming mimi of snakes (PFM wrote that one)

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home